Skip to main content

Why many businesses in Nigeria don't go beyond the First Generation. 1

I have this funny habit of wanting to know why things work or not. I don't know maybe it's a side effect of being a Physiologist. 😀

Because in Physiology you are trained to study the various systems of the body to understand why and how things work and function to achieve a state of balance.

I've keenly observed lots of businesses especially in the city where I live and I've discovered some interesting things about them that I'd like to share.

It's no news that in Nigeria many businesses hardly make it past the first generation. Many die with the founders.

I still remember from childhood till now how many businesses I know that have collapsed. I remember writing a post about one of such last year. It used to be a popular furniture company but has become a shadow of it's former self.

I've also seen a few that have made progress over the years inspite of all the odds.

One of such is a popular bookshop that sells bibles and Christian literature here in Kaduna.

I grew up knowing this bookshop, used to go there to buy books from when I was a teenager.

I've observed how over the years they have been consistent, opening one branch after the other.
Well stocked with books.

Not long ago, sometimes last year I just came into town and saw this gigantic edifice they had built as their headquarters and publishing house in Kaduna.
I was impressed. This is happening at a time when people hardly buy books. Most people now go for ebooks generally.

I began to ask myself what I thought helped these guys among other things and I discovered two key things.

One is consistency. They never diverted into something else. It was just Christian literature, CDs etc. They stayed on it. They were known for that and maintained it.

Secondly their books are always affordable and you get a wide variety of titles to choose from.

I know there are other things they did that kept them going but from my observation as an outsider and one of their customers, I believe these two things contributed a lot to their success.

Next week I'll share more on some of these observations I've made and even some of personal experiences as to why certain businesses don't go beyond the life span of the founders.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you have 'PINK EYE'( Conjunctivitis).

Conjuctivitis popularly known as the 'Pink eye' or 'apollo' as it is popularly called in Nigeria is an infection of the white part of the eye ball.  This infection is most times caused by bacteria, viruses and allergies.  The most common type is the viral infection. According to the University College of Medicine, Ibadan, Nigeria, about 1.5 million cases of conjuctivitis are seen yearly.  MODE OF SPREAD. Conjuctivitis can be extremely contagious and can be spread through the following ways; * Through skin to skin contact eg handshake with an infected person. * By touching a surface contaminated with secretions from an infected eye.  *Almost all age groups can be affected by this ailment but the most vulnerable group are children between the age of 3-13years.  * Though contagious it rarely damages the eye especially when treated on time. SYMPTOMS OF 'PINK EYE'. -  Redness. - Thick yellowish discharge t...

Things to note about Constipation.

Today we'll look at a condition that is common to most of us, constipation. ---- ----- ----- ------ ------ -------- ------- ------- --------- --- What is constipation? Constipation is condition of the digestive system where an individual faces infrequent bowel evacuation, or where the faeces are hard and small or where passage of stool is hard and painful. This occurs because the colon has absorbed too much water from the food in the colon ( large intestine). Causes of Constipation. - Lack of dietary fibre in food. - Physical inactivity. - Dehydration. -Medications eg narcotics, anticonvulsants, antidepressants. -Consumption of diary products by others. - Over use of laxatives. - Pregnancy. - Resisting the urge to poop. - An underactive thyroid. - Problems with nerves and muscles of the digestive system. - Ageing. Symptoms. - Few bowel movements of less than three times a week. - Hard or small stools. - Bloating. - A feeling that everything didn'...

What if they overtake you?

Most times in life we are faced with  the pressure to compare the goings on in our lives with those of our peers especially. Succumbing to this pressure is one of the greatest source of stress and unhappiness in life. Life is a personal race and will always be that way, even your unique makeup and fingerprint attests to that. So if they buy the car before you then what? If they get married , get the job, contract, children, admission, houses or whatever it is before you then what? Does it stop your heart from beating or your lungs from taking in air? Allow people to move at their speed, if they are ready to overtake you let them and move at your own pace. Save yourself the stress of competition, you'll get there if you don't give up but just take your time.